Select your language

Roosdonck Tour


Walking tour through the Papenvoortse Heide, Geeneindse Heide and the Nuenens Broek. The Papenvoort Heide and Geeneindse Heide, both sub-areas of the Stiphout forests, are originally production forests with mainly pine and spruce. Current management has made it a more varied forest area. There are a dozen larger and smaller fens in the area that enliven the area, the hike goes along some of these fens.

Distance: 18 km.

Time: 4h00.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Circular.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No info.

Trail: 71% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.


Nuenens Broek.

The Nuenens Broek is a wet area that is formed by a large alternation between moist grasslands, thickets, bushes and wooded banks. Good walking shoes are therefore a necessity, for the wettest part an alternative is included in the directions. Nuenen is known for Vicent van Gogh, both at the beginning and the end of the walking tour you will come across a number of buildings that have been the subject of one or more of his paintings and drawings, including the mill de Roosdonck. The exceptionally narrow mill was built in 1884. The mill was originally used as an oil mill, after 1959 the mill fell out of service and fell into disrepair. After restoration, the mill is put back into operation and is used for grinding grain.

Mill de Roosdonck

Download PDf for route description.

Map & Poi's.

POI 3 - The Roosdonck mill.

The mill was built in 1884 by miller van Himbergen from Woensel (Eindhoven) on behalf of Marcellus van den Eijnden from Dommelen. The windmill is featured in various paintings and drawings by Vincent van Gogh. In 1887 the municipality granted a permit to make the mill suitable for pressing oil. In 1959, De Roosdonck went out of business and fell into serious decline. In order to preserve the mill, the municipality of Nuenen bought the mill in 1970. Restorations were carried out on the mill in 1972, 1984 and 1996. In the 1990s, the mill returned to private ownership.

Roosdonck mill.