Select your language

To the grave field Busjop

Grave field Busjop

Walking tour through Beijlshof estate, the Leu valley, De Bedelaar estate and the Haelense Beek valley that borders the Exaten forest.

Distance: 13 km.

Time: 3h00.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Circular.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No info.

Trail: 72% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.


Owl tower.

Landgoed Beijlshof is an estate around the Beijlshof farm and consists of a variety of forest, meadows and agricultural land. The name Beijlshof emerged as early as 1500. Jacob, Count van Horn was the owner. From the Beijlshof estate it is only a small step to the Leu valley. In this nature reserve lies the extensive burial field Busjop, which is mainly used from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age. From ca 1100-800 BC. after cremation they buried here the ashes of the dead. Each time a new hill was built close to another, an extensive grave field or urn field was created. The De Bedelaar estate is a small estate that was bought piece by piece from 1906 by Professor Eugène Dubois. He wanted to transform the estate (38 ha) into a landscape in which nature could take its course. In 1937 he had a fifteen-meter-high stone tower built, the Owl Tower. The estate gets its somewhat strange name from a legend. A castle would have once stood here, but one night a beggar came by, but was shown the door in an extremely harsh way. The beggar then cursed the house and its inhabitants. Now when the tower clock struck 12 o'clock at night, the castle and its inhabitants sank into the swamp. The brook valley of the Haelense Beek borders the Exaten estate with the Stockxhof farm on the edge, a 17th century farm with an old orchard. At the height of the farm you have a beautiful view over the brook valley with the meandering brook.

Owl tower

Download PDf for route description.

Map & Poi's.