Select your language

Laarbeek Path - Stage 05

Laarbeek path

Stage 5, also the last stage, starts at the Piet van Thielplein on the Donk in Beek en Donk. The stage goes through the Eyckenlust estate with Eyckenlust Castle, past the Holy Blood Mission Monastery, also known as Broek's Monastery. The stage then goes through De Biezen and Milschot nature reserve, through Het Broek and along the river Aa to the end point, the church in Beek in the town of Beek en Donk.

Distance: 14 km.

Time: 3h00.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Point to point.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No info.

Trail: 69% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.



During this stage, you pass the N279 twice via a viaduct, which bisects the eastern part of the municipality. The 1st time from the Eykenlust estate to the Heilig Bloed Mission Monastery, this part goes through an agricultural area with greenhouse horticulture. And the 2nd time from Het Broek to the Aa river. Eyckenlust Castle is located on the Aa, the estate partly consists of forest and some farms. The oldest part of the castle, the gatehouse, dates from around 1500 and has a natural stone entrance gate and a turret. It is not known when the castle was built, but it has been regularly renovated, such as a stone with the date 1658. The Mission Monastery of the Holy Blood was built because the Saint Joseph Monastery in Helden-Panningen became too small. For more space, the congregation had purchased a piece of land with a farm in Aarle-Rixtel, on which a large monastery was built, the current Heilig Bloed Mission Monastery. The associated farm, a long-fronted farm, is older and dates from approximately 1845. De Biezen is a nature reserve consisting of wet deciduous forests on loamy soil. There are poplar plantations, dry oak forest, swamp forest and sparse flowery grasslands. On the edge of the Biezen, which forms the border with the municipality of Gemert-Bakel, the walking tour follows parts of a landweer that formed the border of the former municipality of Aarle-Rixtel and Bakel. Such old land walls were usually constructed in the Middle Ages and consist of a raised sand bank. The landweer in the Biezen dates from the period 1350 to 1450 and followed a natural stream De Ymelbeke. In a charter from May 1288, De Ymelbeke is already mentioned as a border, while at the same time the presence of a wall is mentioned. In the Biezen, the landweer is not immediately noticeable because the Biezen was developed as a rabattenbos in the 19th or 20th century, as well as raised sand banks with ditches in between for drainage.

Laarbeek path

Download PDF for route description and map.

Map & Poi's.