Select your language

Through the Maasheggen


Walking tour through a mesh hedge landscape. A unique landscape of small parcels mainly of grassland separated by hawthorn or blackthorn hedges. The hedges are braided so close together that they form an impenetrable barrier. In the past they also served as a natural fence for cattle. The dense hedges also make a great breeding ground for birds.

Distance: 17 km.

Time: 3h30.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Circular.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No information.

Trail: 59% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.


Groeningsche Bergen and Vortumse Bergjes.

In the area there are two small forest areas, the Groeningsche Bergen and the Vortumse Bergjes. The Groeningsche Bergen and Vortumse Bergjes are forested river dunes, the walk goes through both small forest areas. Before the Maasheggen landscape is visited, the hike on the outskirts of Vierlingsbeek goes through the brook valley of the Molenbeek with the Beekse mill as an attraction, an iron wheel with a collet as a reminder of Beekse mill or De Klef. At the end of the walking tour one passes a Jewish cemetery one of the oldest in the Netherlands. The cemetery was founded in 1771.


Download PDf for route description.

Map & Poi's.

POI 1 - Beekse mill.

On the outskirts of Vierlingsbeek in the brook valley of the Molenbeek, the Beekse Molen is an iron wheel with a bollard as a reminder of Beekse Molen or De Klef. The oldest mention is from 1430, the water mill was rebuilt in 1672 and blown up in 1944 by the retreating German troops. In 1970, the owner at the time had the original wheel repaired and, together with the collet from a cattle feed factory, forms a tangible memory of the water mill.

No additional information.

POI 2 - Jewish cemetery.

The Jewish cemetery of Vierlingsbeek is located on the Molenweg and is one of the oldest in the Netherlands. It was founded in 1771 and there are 82 gravestones. A restoration was carried out in 1989. There is also a memorial stone to commemorate Jews from the area who were deported and murdered by the Nazis.

No additional information.