Select your language

To Château Sint Gerlach

Château Sint Gerlach

Hike over the hillside forests in the Geuldal and through the Ingendael to Sint Gerlach Castle. The walking tour goes through the Meerssenerbroek, the De Dellen hillside forests, along the Curfsgroeve, through the Bergse Heide with the Meertensgroeve and through the Ingendael along the river Geul.

Distance: 13 km.

Time: 3h30.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Poin to point.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No information.

Trail: 83% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.


Geulzicht castle.

The Meerssenerbroek was farmland until the mid-nineties of the 20th century. After the cessation of agricultural activities, forests sprang up spontaneously. When the Geul has to discharge a lot of water via the Geulke, the Meerssenerbroek can flood again. The Dellen consists for the most part of a high plateau with forests with some steep climbs and descents. The highest part is currently still used by the Ministry of Defense as a military training area. The Curfsgroeve was created by the extraction of marl and the Meertensgroeve by the extraction of sand and gravel. Both former quarries are now impressive holes in the hilly landscape with special nature. After the purchase in 1996 by Het Limburgs Landschap, the Ingendael has developed into a natural stream valley landscape. Grazing with Galloway cattle and Konik horses has created a rugged and varied terrain. From the stream valley you have a beautiful view of Château St. Gerlach. Château St. Gerlach, formerly Klooster St. Gerlach or Sint-Gerlachusstift, was originally built in the twelfth century as a Norbertine monastery. After the French invasion in 1795, all monasteries in the occupied Netherlands were confiscated. Notary Schoenmaeckers, the sisters' agent, then bought the complex and had the convent converted into a beautiful exterior, after which it was referred to as a château. Other places of interest include the Geulhemmer water mill and the Geulhemmergroeve, an old marl quarry with monumental cliff dwellings. Until 1931, the rock dwellings were still inhabited by block breakers, men who cut out underground marl blocks. The impressive castle Geulzicht can also be seen from the Geuldal. This not so old building was designed at the end of the nineteenth century.

Geulzicht castle

Download PDF for route description.

Map & Poi's.