The Abbey Notre-Dame d'Orval, founded in 1132 and one of the most beautiful Cistercian abbeys of Belgium, is the starting point of this cross-border course of about 11 kilometers. Even though one can not visit the famous brewery and the abbey itself, the ruins of the old abbey are equally interesting. The uniform ruins (protected monument) of the old abbey dating from the 12th to the 13th century, as well as the modern buildings of the new Orval abbey, are well worth a visit.
Height gain: 136 meters
Way mark: Blue rectangle and light blue rectangle
Wheelchair: Not suitable
Dog: Allowed on a leach
Abbey beer and pristine meadows.
The construction of the new abbey began in 1926, on the foundations of an old building, which was destroyed during the French Revolution. The source, the ancient rose windows and the beautiful garden with medicinal herbs are among the highlights of the visit to the ruins. The museum tells the history of the abbey and shows old works in wrought iron, a model of the abbey and paintings from the 18th century. The route goes from the Abbey of Orval to the village of Chameleux and if desired you can make a detour to the French village of Villiers. From Chameleux it goes further in the direction of the Gallo-Roman site of Chameleux to return to the starting point.
Walking shoes and rain gear.