Select your language

Herbertus Tour

Herbertus forests

Walking tour through the Herbertus forests, the Lange Bleek, Someren heath and over the Strabrecht heath. The Herbertus forests are named after Herbertus van Heeze, the first Lord of Heeze. It is an old forest with high ascending deciduous and softwood, but also with small grasslands that offer beautiful views.

Distance: 22 km.

Time: 5h00.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Circular.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No info.

Trail: 94% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.

The Hoenderboom.

The Sterkselse Aa and Groote Aa flow through the area and come together at the castle and continue as the Kleine Dommel, also known as the Rul. The Lange Bleek is a varied forest area with the beautiful Bult fen and some heathland areas. The name Lange Bleek comes from a fen that is located directly south of the current forest area, the fen has been drained and reclaimed. Until 1920, the Somerensche Heide was a vast heathland. Between 1920 and 1930 most of the area was converted into agricultural land and the remaining parts were planted with softwood. In later management measures, the forest area has gradually changed into a more varied forest area with various fens. The Strabrechtse Heide is one of the largest heathlands in our country. The Hoenderboom is a municipal border marker in the area. Traditionally, five municipalities came together at the pole: Heeze, Maarheeze, Someren, Lierop, and Mierlo. Due to municipal reorganisations, this number has fallen to two Heeze-Leende and Someren. As a further attraction one passes, among other things, Heeze Castle one of the last inhabited castles in the Netherlands.

Herbertus forests

Download PDf for route description.

Map & Poi's.

POI 3 - Castle of Heeze.

Heeze Castle is one of the last inhabited castles in the Netherlands. It consists of a medieval part, castle Eymerick, and the part built by the famous architect Pieter Post in 1665. The complex includes various outbuildings from 1735 such as a remarkable pigeon house. This is a pigeon tower that stands outside the castle on the estate. There is also an ice cellar from the 18th century behind the castle in an artificially raised approximately four meter high hill with two brick retaining walls on either side of the entrance.

No additional information