Select your language

Leudal tour


Walking tour through the Leudal nature reserve, a wooded area with stream valleys and a higher open area with heath. The Leubeek (upstream the Tungelroyse Beek) and the Zelsterbeek flow through the area, the hike follows both streams with nice height differences in various places such as the Litsberg with a steep sand wall with the meandering Leubeek at its foot. On the higher part of the area, the walk goes through the Busjop burial ground, a vast burial ground with 17 burial mounds, including a long bed.

Distance: 14 km.

Time: 3h30.

Grade: Moderate.

Type: Circular.

Gps Track: Yes.

Route description: Yes.

Wheelchair: Not suitable.

Dog: Allowed.

Height gain: No info.

Trail: 96% unpaved.

Marking: See PDF route description.

Hiking shoes recommended.


Leudal Nature Reserve.

Other points of interest include the Leudal Museum at the starting point and the remnant of the St Elisabeth mill. Furthermore, the Leu mill or Sint-Ursula mill, the special thing about this water mill is that it is the only one of the six still existing water-oil mills in the Netherlands that houses a corn mill and an oil mill under one roof. In the stream valley of the Leubeek you pass a narrow bailey bridge from the 2nd World War and on the De Bedelaar estate you pass the high stone Owl tower. Also at the end of the tour in the monastery garden of care center Land van Horne along a plague house and an old octagonal chapel tower.


Download PDf for route description.

Map & Poi's.

POI 1 - Sint Elisabeth mill.

In 1278, the prior of the St. Elisabethsdal monastery received permission to demolish the watermill and rebuild it opposite the monastery along the Leubeek. The St. Elisabeth mill was a ban mill. This means that local residents, the Roggelnaren, were forced to grind their grain on this mill. In the 18th century, the St. Elisabeth's mill was expropriated by the French and sold through public sale. In 1844, St. Elisabeth's Mill burned down due to arson, but was quickly rebuilt. A few decades later an extension of the building followed and in 1908 agricultural barns were added and the mill was given the appearance of a farmhouse mill. Currently, the ruins with a hydro-electric turbine for generating electricity remain.

No addiotinal information.

POI 2 - Leu mill.

The St. Ursula mill or Leu mill is a water wheel mill and is located on the Leubeek in the Leudal. This mill was used as a grain and oil mill. The Leu mill can be visited and also seen working for grinding grain. In the information room on the ground floor there is a permanent exhibition about the cultural history of the Leudal. In addition to information about the mill, the information center also provides information about the Leudal nature reserve.

Leu mill.

POI 4 - Busjop burial ground.

In the Leudal nature reserve near the Budsjop fen, there is an extensive burial ground that has been used primarily from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age. From around 1100-800 BC. they buried the ashes of the dead here after cremation. The ashes were placed in an urn or cloth and the whole was covered with a layer of pests. Every individual received his own burial monument. By each time laying a new hill near another, a vast burial field or urn field was created.

Grafveld Busjop.

POI 5 - Owl tower.

De Bedelaar estate belonged to the paleontologist Eugène Dubois. Already in 1916 Dubois built a wooden bat tower based on an American model. This is now a national monument. In 1937 he also had a 15-meter-high stone tower built, the Owls Tower. This was heated via a heating channel to provide owls and bats with a pleasant temperature in winter. The tower was restored in 2011. The purpose of such towers was to control insects and rodents in a biological way.

No additional information.

POI 6 - Chapel tower.

In the monastery garden of the St. Elisabeth monastery, now the Land van Horne care center, is the octagonal chapel tower and a so-called plague house.

No additional information.